1/05/2019

The Last Generation

My friend, Scott Jarrett, used to say, “We’re going to be the last generation to enjoy global warming.” This week he’s been right, at least as far as I’m concerned. Yesterday almost beat the previous high temperature for January 4 in Red Wing, Minnesota by 20oF. And I absolutely did enjoy it. I went for a 20 mile bicycle ride without having to wear layers of clothing or even a face mask. Today will be another 40-something degree day and I’m going to enjoy that, too. Average high temperatures for this time of the year are around 28oF. Usually, there would be an inch or two of snow involved, also. The snow is melting, the roads are clear, even the bicycle trails are mostly free of ice and snow.

Even the climate deniers know payback is going to be a bitch. They may not admit it, but they know. At my age, I can sincerely and practically hope that I don’t last long enough to get paid back for decades of ignoring the fate of future generations while wallowing in carbon pollution. I keep saying, “I’ve seen all of the stupid I need to see” and I mean it. Between the religions and the politics and the general “I don’t give a fuck about anything” attitude of the last three generations, I’ve pretty much heard and seen ever moronic thing I can imagine being said and done. My opinion of humans has never been high, but while the temperatures are hitting new highs human are lowering the bar as far underground as Texas groundwater and we’re still drilling for new levels of stupid.

No comments: